Friday, July 1, 2011

Happy July!

I'm sorry to see June go, with the cool spring days and first of the flowers blooming, but July does have its sweetness.  Hot and sunny, days at the beach, the lavender and roses are blooming, and fireflies and dragonflies have come out to play.
And of course, July begins with a bang! Red, white and blue celebrations, and cookouts and fireworks.
Who couldn't love that?
I spent a little time making over our tiny back porch this week. Sorry no before photos. Sometimes I get a bee in my bonnet and the next thing you know I'm checking the spray paint stash in the basement and dragging my latest victim to the yard for a fresh coat of color:>)
 This is the view from the kitchen door way, down the stairs and through our little back entry. We have a humble little cottage, built in the 40's, with a humble little back porch.  Earl built a pergola for me for our 25th anniversary. I love it so much! It defines the area and shelters this little wicker settee I picked up a couple years ago at a garage sale for $6.
I think I have spent more on spray painting it than it cost to begin with!
A faded but still beautiful yard sale oriental rug catches dirt and provides a little softness for my bare feet. At $5, it's disposable if it doesn't survive the summer.
 This week, I decided the chipped and faded white settee needed to be black, and the faded cushion that came with it needed a fresh cover of red and white ticking.  I found the ticking at JoAnne Fabrics in the sale aisle.  Marked down from $25 a yard to $9 a yard, it was 50% off the sale price for a grand total of $4.50.  I love a good sale.
 Love it. And it's comfy to boot. A beautiful place for morning coffee.
I foofed the whole area up for the 4th of July weekend with one of my ruffled flag pillows and a couple quick bunting projects.  The flag bunting was made from a single package of dollar store flags and some leftover skinny bias tape.  We're having some cookouts and parties this month so I plan to leave them up all month.
Plans for projects this weekend and going to a friends house for a cookout on the 4th.
I hope you all have a spectacular weekend.
Happy 4th of July!
Linking with
Photobucket


31 comments:

  1. I miss June too but once July hits I really feel like it's "summer".

    I love your porch/pergola area..and I laughed about the spray paint costing more than the settee!!! I'm that way too -- and how fantastic is it when you can give something a new look, new life with some spray paint??!

    What a score on that fabric as well...it just finishes the look and pulls everything together so perfectly!

    Happy long weekend to you Kathy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a cozy spot to relax and I adore spray paint :)
    Congrat's to the winner of your darling pillow. Thanks for having a giveaway.
    Happy 4th!
    Deb :0

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, it's such a cute and cozy spot! You go, Earl! I'd love to sit there and chat with you under those sweet banners.
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your porch fluffing Kathy! Have a wonderful 4th!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You porch area looks so cute! I love the bunting (both of them - I did a flag one for my house too). Love it all. I'm excited that you're going to offer a pattern! I think that's a marvelous idea!

    ReplyDelete
  6. June flew by so fast, I barely saw it...

    Love your sweet little porch. I am going to make a banner...guess I'd better get busy.
    Love your black wicker, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a pretty porch area!!
    Have a Happy 4th of July weekend.
    ~Cindy~

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am visiting from BJ's blog and now I am your newest follower. I have been going through older posts and really love it. Your porch looks so adorable I could sit there for hours. xo,

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very festive place for morning coffee...Your "bargain" ticking sure looks nice on the black settee!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. happy 4th to you too...and thanks for sharing your pretty little porch!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks like you are ready for the celebrations..enjoy! xo

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the whole look! Such bargains, you lucky girl. You have very nice decorating taste.I would love for you to check out my blog and tell me what you think. Have a blessed Holiday Weekend! ~Sara

    ReplyDelete
  13. I can see fireflies and lit sparklers surrounding that lovely vignette in the evening.......

    You have a way with decorating.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very festive, Kathy! I love it. Enjoy the holiday weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love your porch area. What a sweet place to sit and have a cup of coffee.
    Have a wonderful 4th of July!!
    Sincerely, Trish

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your porch area looks wonderful..Love all the banners about it! Happy 4th!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Everything is adorable Kathy! You always do such a wonderful job. I love your little back door, such sweet charm!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love the black settee. And you know something ~ humble cottages are the very nicest. Everyone feels at home in a humble cottage.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Very sweetly patriotic!
    Happy Fourth to you!
    :)
    ~Becca~

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm here via BJ's blog and so happy to be here. I'm loving your celebration. Tt would be great to have you join me in Seasonal Sundays.

    - The Tablescaper

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi lovely lady.
    I love the way you did your porch for this 4th of July.
    I hope you and your lovely family have a Great Day sweet lady.
    XXOO Diane

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your back porch looks so very charming. I love the ruffled pillow - did you make that? Happy Fourth, many blessings, marlis

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh Kathy...what a charming back porch! I bet it is so cozy in the morning with your cuppa or in the evening.

    Sometimes small and cozy beat big and spacious any day.

    Happy 4th of July to you and your family.

    janet xox

    Ps...adore the bunting!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi Kathleen,
    your fluffing of the porch turned out beautifully! I love it. A perfect place to be.
    I see one of your sweet pillows on the settee :)
    Have a sweet day and hugs, Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi friend!!! I've had a time commenting! So many technical problems and people who won't share laptops!
    I LOVE all I'm seeing here!!! I read down all that I missed.
    Thanks for staying w/me :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thanks for bringing your patriotic celebration to Seasonal Sundays.

    - The Tablescaper

    ReplyDelete
  27. Your home is adorable and look how cute you had it decorated for the 4th of July! LOVE the flag pillow you made. You are so talented!

    Hugs,
    Maryjane

    PS
    You are so lucky to have fireflies!

    ReplyDelete
  28. The summer is just going bye to fast! But July 4th was a good time spent with family and friends!

    Love the bench!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Kathy, your porch looks beautiful! I love, love, love that ruffled pillow! How creative you are!
    xoxo
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  30. Kathy!
    I'm so embarrassed!
    I came to make sure I had commented and I see my boy...chicken Chad above LOL. It was me...Idk how I was signed in as him.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Good-bye June...sigh, and love the banners.
    Glad your fourth was such fun!
    Have a great weekend.
    xoxo~kathy @
    sweet Up-North Mornings...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to say hello :)