Monday, January 11, 2016

A Little Sparkle and a Cake

I promised to show you the transition from Christmas lights to New Year.  My little tree was on the library table in the living room. I think the hardest part of taking down the decorations each year, is missing all those brilliant little lights. They chase away the winter dark, and I always need that! The corner is a dark one anyway, and even darker this time of year.  I found these lighted branches on clearance at Home Depot after the New Year.  I have seen them everywhere from the grocery store to Kohl's, so they aren't hard to find.  I had the large mercury glass vase and some faux evergreen branches and I am happy to say the lighted branches were the perfect transition from Christmas to January. They made me miss the lights on the tree a whole lot less, and the added bonus is I know I'll use them next year at Christmas time.  
 Truth be told though, I am beginning to crave a little green and some color.  I am not a winter girl and winter has finally arrived in Michigan with blowing snow and bitter cold temps.  It had to happen, I know, but where everyone else sees cozy and hot cocoa, I just see a whole lot of snow. Give me green grass under my toes and balmy nights sitting in the garden.  I'm already counting the days until Spring.  This little vignette will soon give way to something living and green.

I also wanted to share this little beauty that Earl made for a New Years party we went to.  I know it's a bit late but this deserves to be shared.  It's a "Stump de Noel" and he had such fun making this.  Marzipan leaves and acorns, meringue mushrooms and shelf fungus and pistachio moss. That man is amazing!
 The cake itself was eggnog flavor and the frosting is chocolate ganache.  He made the "dirt" with ground up chocolate oreos.  I think I'll keep him. It was quite the way to bring in the New Year!
How are you doing this second full week of January? Are you dreaming of green yet?

19 comments:

  1. That cake is amazing! I am also missing warmth and color. I'm ready for spring!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Kathleen:
    Your cake here that you photographed is absolutely darling and very creative. It would make a perfect gift for lots of people I can think of! Darling.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Clever Earl, it looks stunning, and I bet it tastes good too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Clever Earl, it looks stunning, and I bet it tastes good too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Earl your cake looks and sounds amazing! I love your lit branches Kathy. I am with you about winter. I do love the first snow fall and would want it in December. Then starting January, I want spring, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your lighted branches...I love light of just about any kind, too. I just found a box of mini lights that I think I'll string along my winter mantel....
    the cake looks amazing...I hope you will send the pics in to a great magazine..I just know they would feature it. He'd be so proud to open a magazine and find his cake on the page.
    hugs...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your lighted branches and decor. I have to confess, I keep my Christmas tree up wayyyyy after Christmas because I love how the little lights just brighten the shorter days in these winter months. You have a great idea! I too do.not.like.the.snow. Very thankful it stayed away as long as it did so far. Wow - that cake is just awesome. It must have been delicious ;)!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So pretty, Kathy! I was just shopping clearance Christmas items today and I saw nothing as cute as your little branches. I have been taking a good look around my home and I see every season in evidence. They all live here more or less happily so have fun adding some spring.

    Your husband's creation is absolutely stunning! If it tasted as beautiful as it looked that's too bad because it just belongs on the counter looking pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love everything!
    www.rsrue.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a gorgeous cake!! Love your mercury glass vase vignette! thanks

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm not a winter girl either...LOVE the cake your hubby made! My oh my!! it looks delicious!! I think plants and flowers help in the winter months!
    deb

    ReplyDelete
  12. I miss the lights too. They make one feel happy, chase the gloom or blues away.

    That cake is fantastic and flavors sound wonderful!!

    Have a great week ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Kathy
    That cake is amazing! Your husband sure has talent! I love the little lighted branch. It brings cheer to the darkness of winter.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think I'd keep him, too. What a talented guy he is. I kept a strand of white lights (with the white cord) hung across the kitchen window. I'm getting ready to hang a heart garland from them and don't know if I'll ever take them down.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Time seem to be passing so fast..and can't believe its the second week of January. I sure could go for a piece of that cake!!!!! I so wish I had some lighted branches too, could help light up our home with it being so dreary outside.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I wasn't sure I should look at that gorgeous cake! I was afraid the calories would leap out of my computer screen and I'd be in big trouble! Love your winter vignette. We are having a very wet and dreary winter with a few days of dry and sunshine mixed in between. I'm doing well this second week of the new year. Celebrating our anniversary and planning some redos in our home soon. Planning the changes in our home have been a good diversion for the 'absence' of Christmas and all the lights and festivities.
    ~Adrienne~

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a sweet cake! I bet is tasted wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow...that cake is amazing....Earl is a talented artist!!
    I love your little lights and can definitely agree...the lights are what I miss the most! I left three strings of battery powered lights (on timers) up for a few more weeks. I wound them through the dishes on a plate rack and other ones in my hutch. It is so nice in the evening to have the glimmer of the little lights.
    Try to stay warm...we have had the hottest winter on record here in Texas, so could you share a little of that cold??? :^)
    Blessings to you,
    J

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to say hello :)